Sunday, July 13, 2008

Inclusive Education

Teach India: 'Don't weed out kids, work them in' : Amol Gupte, writer and creative-director of Taare Zameen Par, has very strong views on overhauling the Indian Education System. He says:

An Inclusive education, to me,
is one that does not practice selective exclusion—
weeding out children on the basis of unreasonable milestones.....,
and I am shocked by the way
the education system systematically and selectively
denies children with special needs access to the classroom.
What people forget is that
the speed of the herd is not determined
by the fastest but the slowest in the pack.


On, what would he like to change?

A total overhaul of the curriculum.
I would like to see a more holistic curriculum,
where the focus is on knowledge not scores.
Besides, I would like to replace rote learning
with subjective knowledge that would benefit a child much more.

Hmmn...that is lot work! Let us get going!

2 comments:

Alexander M Zoltai said...

I wish my American education had been based on these high principles !

~ Alex

Amarendra said...

Similar sentiments here:-) it would be great to study under these principles!