Thursday, July 17, 2008

Should you volunteer, or support financially?

How do you deal with children begging on the streets?

Nandita Das shares:

Children begging in the streets, for instance – that’s one issue that I have not sorted out in my mind, yet. I don’t know whether I should give alms and encourage begging. I also know that is not going to change the situation. But then, am I doing anything else in lieu of not giving a tenner? When I see them at traffic lights, I feel that at least I should make eye contact, talk to them. Many of my friends keep telling me, ‘Don’t talk to them’, ‘Don’t even look at them. You are asking for trouble.’ But I try to connect with them. I make faces, talk to them... that is a moment of lightness in their lives, and, as I have realised, in mine too.

I don’t undermine monetary contribution, because there is such an unequal distribution of money in this world. It is important that people contribute financially too. But being involved, volunteering to give some time, apart from money, often enriches one’s own life.

If, as a human being, one wants to grow and be more sensitive, there’s nothing like giving time and creating those experiences for oneself.
What is your take?

How would you like to contribute towards education of underprivileged children?

2 comments:

Ankur said...

At least devoting two hours a week to Motivational, Moral, Inspirational and Fun Sessions with children.

At least devoting two hours a month to a brainstorming session with teachers aiming at leaving them inspired by their profession and getting them taking required action.

Donating one percent of my daily earnings to various non-profit initiatives for the education of underprivileged.

Amarendra said...

Acknowledged! Great Declaration!